OK.  So the docco is completely wrong:  everything referenced in the
template needs to be set as a variable prior to defining the zone.
I'd assumed from context that the template was going to have the
previously-declared object properties passed to it.

I can live with that, I was going to abstract the zone type anyway.

Matt