Andrew, the oddity that I ran into was strictly because I made the
mistake of trying to specify a value for splay. Luckily enough it was
on my puppet dev machines so I had to go in manually and modify 4
diferent server configs.

It is definitely one of those grey lined areas that needs some
consideration and input from others.

Considering the impact modifying puppet configs can have on all puppet
managed servers; I know falling back to last config state would be
difficult, but at least a warning and puppet ignoringthe entire config
option may be a better suited solution.

If I have a chance tomorrow I will jump on IRC or start a new thread
about this. (I'm trying not to hijack threads)

But if Luke or James or anyone else wants to chime in I am looking for
input on whether this is desired functionality for puppet.

-Jason