PeterBurkholder <pburkhol...@gmail.com> writes:

> FWIW, we'll be looking about 50 systems that need to be
> managed, and we may not have to pay for server itself ($13.5K) just
> for the system subscriptions ($200 each).

Note that the Satellite server code has been open sourced so I'm not
sure why they still charge so much for it.

> Does anyone here have recent experience with RHN Satellite, and care
> to comment on its usefulness and functionality?

We use it here on RHEL systems but I haven't had direct experience
with it for years as I've long ago moved all my machines to Debian.
So, I can't rightly comment on its "useabilty".

I can say we initially got into it (and now some factions pushing
CFengine) as we need to increase the apparent centralized control of
our systems in the eyes of our funding agency.  I've been using Puppet
to that end for a couple of years and think is does a fine job.

However RHEN and Puppet are partially orthogonal.  As you say, RHEN
doesn't do config management so well and, of course, Puppet shines
here.  OTOH, Puppet is not so well[1] purposed for assuring systems
are up-to-date and producing reports to prove this so I think systems
like RHEN (if not maybe RHEN itself) still have a place in a Puppet
run shop.

-Brett.

[1] Please, please correct me if I'm wrong!