Did a POC of it at my current company.  I've also had the RedHat
Enterprise Deployment and Virtualization class.

This product was originally envisioned began development before RedHat
even had an IPO.  The reason I mention this is that the mindset around
systems management at that time is what you're getting with this
product. Which means it was designed for management types to be able
to say that everything is up to date and secure all the time.  I don't
think they ever really fleshed it out as a systems management platform
in the first place.

I have also seen RedHat Sales Techs that couldn't get the product
installed and required my assistance to get it running.

The process of adding your own content to Satellite is one of the most
convoluted and time-intensive that I've seen. If you wish to add your
own packages, you must GPG all the packages and then find some way to
distribute your keys, which Satellite cannot do for you (this is
because the only way that would work through Satellite is if you
packaged your gpg key and had a post script to run the rpm --import,
but you can't do that because all your packages must be signed and
can't be installed if your gpg key hasn't already been imported.

The program claims support for Solaris, but it is woefully inadequate
in a multitude of ways (esp. now with zones and containers)

It was recently open-sourced, but they charge for the working version
because it is completely dependent on Oracle to run and the license is
for the embedded Oracle database that comes with it.  I haven't seen
any progress making Satellite work on another RDBMS yet.

The monitoring portion of the product is a joke and completely an
afterthought.  It severely lacks any configurability or extensibility.

The licensing scheme is insane.  You need an "entitlement" to track
the box and manage packages. You need another to do automated
installs, and another to do monitoring.  All of these are PER MACHINE.

When I asked about scalability, I was told there were Satellite Proxy
servers, but they were really only to span physical locations, not
really to distribute load.  When I asked if the product could be built
out in such a way as to manage 10K+ machines, they told me we should
pay them to maintain such a system for them.

Even their instructors have been known to make veiled references to
the poor conception and implementation of the product.

I was told there would be some major changes in a newer version, but I
believe we used 5.? in the class I took a little over a year ago.  I'm
guessing the major changes they were talking about were making it open
source.