On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:50:17AM +0100, Gary Law wrote:
> + start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/puppet/puppetd.pid
[...]
> g...@dv01:~ $ ps -ef | grep [p]uppet
> root      6774     1  0 Apr04 ?        00:06:49 ruby /usr/sbin/puppetd -w 5

Try:
start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile /var/run/puppet/puppetd.pid --verbose

Maybe it will be more helpful.

Manual page start-stop-daemon(8):

   -K, --stop
          Checks for the existence of a specified process.  If such a pro‐
          cess  exists, start-stop-daemon sends it the signal specified by
          --signal, and exits with error status 0.  If such a process does
          not  exist,  start-stop-daemon  exits  with error status 1 (0 if
          --oknodo  is  specified).   If   --retry   is   specified   then
          start-stop-daemon  will  check  that the process(es) have termi‐
          nated.

   -p, --pidfile pid-file
          Check whether a process has created the file pid-file.

My guess would be that you need more arguments, perhaps "--name"?

--
Marcin Owsiany <mar...@owsiany.pl>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown