On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbr...@workshy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 02:02:42PM -0500, Evan Hisey wrote:
>> >
>> > But it will still show up unencrypted in processlist.
>> >
>> Only on the puppetmaster server, and this would happen no matter how
>> you generate the password encryption.
>
> Not true.  There are several utilities that can read from stdin or a
> file to generate an encrypted passwrd, like mkpasswd.
>
> --
> Bruce
I was thinking about scripted creation of passwords. If you used
mkpasswd in place of oppenssl in the script it would still show up in
the list. Openssl also takes sdtin as an option. You could probably
put a lot of extra work in place and get a completely encrypted
automate path of creation. But if you need that level of protection on
a puppetmaster server then you would be best served  by manual
creation anyway. That may be best practice, on further though. Using
generate and an external file to hold the encrypted password, saves
the headache of version controlling old passwords. That way if you
have to roll back for some reason you do not accidentally rollback the
password.

Evan