We sort of do this we set a global $password in our site.pp.  That
$password is an MD5 string.  My environment is currently all Linux.

Then, in our base module we have:

exec {
  "set-root-password":
    path => "/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    command => "/bin/echo root:$password | /usr/sbin/chpasswd -e"
}

It's obviously not very portable but eh.

Cheers,
Ryan