Having a problem with cert negotiation between client and server.

client:
CentOS 4.4
2.6.9 kernel
ruby 1.8.1-7
puppet 0.24.8

Server:
Debian 4
2.6.9 kernel
ruby 1.8.7
0.24.8-1

Client:
Launch puppetd with -w30

Server:
puppetca --list shows client server. I puppetca --sign it.

Then on the client, I get this:
notice: Got signed certificate
notice: Starting Puppet client version 0.24.8
debug: Loaded state in 0.03 seconds
debug: Retrieved facts in 0.81 seconds
debug: Retrieving catalog
debug: Calling puppetmaster.getconfig
warning: Certificate validation failed; consider using the certname
configuration option
err: Could not retrieve catalog: Certificates were not trusted: certificate
verify failed

I've checked the time on both servers. they are the same.
I've checked the cert on both servers w/ openssl verify. they are good.

Any ideas?

Drew