Paul Gear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a squid url_regex ACL source file for various
> different sites.  Each site needs a slightly different configuration, so
> my plan was to create the a bunch of files on the server, then drag them
> down and concatenate them into a single file on the client.
>
> I found http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/CompleteConfiguration
> and i've been trying to understand its approach to constructing a file
> out of fragments.  Am i right in thinking that i need to distribute an
> entire directory from the server, then use concatenated_file to combine
> those files into one file on the puppet agent?
>
> I'd rather not distribute the entire directory from the server, since it
> contains custom content for each node.  Is there a way i can do this
> with templates that include other files?  (Or templates that are plain
> text rather than .erb?)  I'd really like to find a technique that
> doesn't require separately copying the file fragments to the client also...
>
> I've had 3 or 4 tries at getting the right approach and am still no
> closer to a working solution.  Attached is my non-working attempt at a
> class to do this - what am i doing wrong?  (Comments about what's not
> working can be found after the @@@ comments.)  I thought this was a
> fairly simple problem, but i've been banging my head against it all day
> without any success.

My approach in the CompleteConfiguration repos is to use the
concatenated_file_part define to put file parts onto the client and then
locally concatenated them all on the client with the concatenated_file
define which does some shell magic internally.

You seem to try to use a server side function ( file() ) to create a
similar effect. You just have to be  aware that functions always run on
the server.

Regards, DavidS