> I'm new with Puppet and as far as I have searched I couldn't find a
> very good solution for updating some machines over the network. I

I think that many on the list feel that you should use the correct
tool for the job here, which in your case sounds like an apt-get or
equivalent via cron.  I do the same here on sles boxes via zypper and
rug.

> could use Puppet to do a cron job for that but I don't have so much
> control over the updates and I want to have a more flexible option for

Here's how I handle this:

Updates are mirrored from Novell and stored in a sandbox repository.
The sandbox hosts apply updates every Friday via a cron job.  This
includes updates that require a reboot.

The sandbox repo is mirrored up to the test layer every two weeks,
which gives us a chance to catch anything that really breaks our
environment.

Once we are comfortable with the patches in test, we mirror the repo
up to the production layer.  Updates are not automatic here.  Instead,
a cron job runs a script that generates a report that details all of
the updates ready to be applied, including the category of update, and
whether a reboot is required.  It sends this report to our ticketing
system and cc's it to an admin mailbox.  Based on that ticket, an
administrator creates a change control request to apply the updates
listed.

> starting those updates other than a cron job and I don't want to
> distrub the people who are using those machines for updates.

The obvious thing to do here would be to schedule the updates for off
hours.  In my case, the production updates are done by hand by an
administrator.

> Have you done something like that or do you have some ideas? By the
> way, the machines which I want to update are installed with Ubuntu.

The reporting tool I mentioned is available here - you may be able to
adapt this for Ubuntu:

http://blog.barfoo.org/2008/08/16/zypper-update-report-was-patch2mail-for-sles10/

--Justin