> As long as you are on a recent version there is an 'err' tag, which you
> can use in conjunction with tagmail to mail you any  errors. I send mine
> to a distribution group that ends up going to my team mates.

I am trying to implement this but I am not getting any logging or
reporting at all. I do get emails if I put all: tag in the
tagmail.conf but no emails when I put in err: tag in the file (I force
an error).

Here is my configuration on the puppetmaster

[main]
confdir=/usr/local/home/tim/puppet/etc
ssldir=/etc/puppet/ssl
vardir=/var/puppet

[puppetmasterd]
storeconfigs=true
reports = tagmail,store,log
tagmap=/etc/puppet/tagmail.conf
smtpserver=some.smtp.server

I also run puppetmaster like this (just to be sure)

puppetmasterd --no-daemonize --verbose --debug --reports tagmail,store,log

This is what tagmail.conf looks like

#all: timuc...@gmail.com  #this works
err: timuc...@gmail.com   #this doesn't work if I force an error.

This is what the client puppet.conf looks like

[main]
logdir=/var/log/puppet
vardir=/var/lib/puppet
ssldir=/var/lib/puppet/ssl
rundir=/var/run/puppet
factpath=$vardir/lib/facter
#pluginsync=true

[puppetd]
report=true

This is how I run the client (just to make sure)
puppetd --server my.server.com  --no-daemonize --logdest console
--verbose  --onetime  --debug  --test --trace --report

No reports get generated. There is nothing int he /var/puppet/reports
directory. No indications of anything going wrong  in the log files.
Nothing anywhere telling me what the problem might be.

For me this has been the biggest problem with puppet. Complete silent
failure.  I have followed the documentation carefully, there is no
indication of why it failed even with full debugging on and logging to
the console.