On Sep 6, 2009, at 7:42 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:

>> As long as you are on a recent version there is an 'err' tag, which
>> you
>> can use in conjunction with tagmail to mail you any  errors. I send
>> mine
>> to a distribution group that ends up going to my team mates.
>>

> I am trying to implement this but I am not getting any logging or
> reporting at all. I do get emails if I put all: tag in the
> tagmail.conf but no emails when I put in err: tag in the file (I force
> an error).
>

> Here is my configuration on the puppetmaster
>
> [main]
> confdir=/usr/local/home/tim/puppet/etc
> ssldir=/etc/puppet/ssl
> vardir=/var/puppet
>
> [puppetmasterd]
> storeconfigs=true
> reports = tagmail,store,log
> tagmap=/etc/puppet/tagmail.conf
> smtpserver=some.smtp.server
>
> I also run puppetmaster like this (just to be sure)
>
> puppetmasterd --no-daemonize --verbose --debug --reports
> tagmail,store,log
>
> This is what tagmail.conf looks like
>
> #all: timuc...@gmail.com  #this works
> err: timuc...@gmail.com   #this doesn't work if I force an error.
>

> This is what the client puppet.conf looks like
>
> [main]
> logdir=/var/log/puppet
> vardir=/var/lib/puppet
> ssldir=/var/lib/puppet/ssl
> rundir=/var/run/puppet
> factpath=$vardir/lib/facter
> #pluginsync=true
>
> [puppetd]
> report=true
>

> This is how I run the client (just to make sure)
> puppetd --server my.server.com  --no-daemonize --logdest console
> --verbose  --onetime  --debug  --test --trace --report
>

> No reports get generated. There is nothing int he /var/puppet/reports
> directory. No indications of anything going wrong  in the log files.
> Nothing anywhere telling me what the problem might be.
>
> For me this has been the biggest problem with puppet. Complete silent
> failure.  I have followed the documentation carefully, there is no
> indication of why it failed even with full debugging on and logging to
> the console.

We just caught this problem of not being able to use the log level as
a tag, and I think it got fixed around 0.24.8, so that might be the
issue if you're running a slightly older version.

I'm still a little confused, though -- how do you know you're getting
an error if you're not getting any error reports anywhere?

--
I'm worried about Bart. Today, he's sucking people's blood,
tommorrow he might be smoking. -Marge Simpson