----- "Peter Meier" <peter.me...@immerda.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> so I took again a look a this rather old thread, as I tried to
> implement
> things as I thought I have understood them.

> module,
> each
> in
> one
> but
> >>
> >> modulepath option must be set in your puppet.conf file.
> >
> > yeah, that for sure. But so I assume it looks for ssh::client in
> every
> > ssh module it can find in the different modulepaths.
>
> After this discussion I thought that modules can be scattered amongst
> the various module paths. But this doesn't seem to be the case. At
> least
> my experience shows that puppet simply respects the classes of a
> module
> it founds in the first location, all the classes in a second location
> get ignored.
>
> So the best practices would be to have 2 module paths, one with the
> public modules and one module path with the site-specific module -
> extensions, prefixed with site? so something like:
>
> modules/public/apache <- public apache module
> modules/site/site-apache <- site specific implementations of apache
>
> To throw up the question:
>
> Wouldn't it be nicer if puppet would collect a module's classes from
> all
> module pathes? It would at least make my site specific module changes
> look a bit nicer and I still wouldn't have to mix these. However I
> see
> all the problems coming up with this solution. I'm just curious what
> other people think.

I think that would be terrible.  Having two different paths for the same
namespace is confusing and will easily lead to problems.

However, the example you give is correct: you can't have the same module name
in two modulepaths and usually want to prefix the classnames to avoid name
collisions.

--
Digant C Kasundra <dig...@stanford.edu>
Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University