On Oct 20, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Andrew S wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just started deploying a puppet infrastructure, and have run
> across what I'm sure is a common problem - third party software that
> does not use the systems package manager, instead using their own
> script/binary blob/etc.  Now my environment doesn't have any NFS at
> present (and I'm loath to add it for just this one purpose), and
> though I could wget the file and checksum it I'd prefer to manage all
> configuration content through puppet and it's filebuckets.  My first
> cut at doing this was an exec that required a file resource for the
> installer, however this means the install package remains on the
> system.  Is there some method or trick I'm missing here?
>
> If not, I'm considering writing a provider for package that would
> source the installer from a filebucket and run it, and potentially
> uninstall if the package has that option - problems with this approach
> are of course where you put the installer (and having the space etc),
> being sure that the third party provided installer is idempotent, and
> checking that the software is installed.  Would this be useful, or is
> it foolishness?  It's probably less foolish than my other plan, which
> was to add source to exec. :)
>
> FWIW the software I'm looking at here is Netbackup, EMC Symcli and the
> HP Proliant support pack.  And potentially others. :/

This is definitely a common problem, but AFAIK there's no real common
solution.

The only real thing I can recommend is either 1) package the software
yourself (by far the best option) or 2) use a defined type to do a
wget, install, and rm of the tarball.  Really, if you look at the
Blastwave pkg-get script, that's pretty much what it does, so you'd be
walking in the footsteps of giants or whatever.

--
The world tolerates conceit from those who are successful, but not
from anybody else. -- John Blake