On Oct 21, 6:11 am, Luke Kanies <l...@madstop.com> wrote:
> The only real thing I can recommend is either 1) package the software
> yourself (by far the best option) or 2) use a defined type to do a
> wget, install, and rm of the tarball.  Really, if you look at the
> Blastwave pkg-get script, that's pretty much what it does, so you'd be
> walking in the footsteps of giants or whatever.

Right, the main issue with option 1) is that to do it properly it's a
lot of work to extracting out the behaviour of the installer script/
binary/whatever, and there's no garauntee that I will pick up all the
changes or potential changes - e.g. a case statement that installs a
different library for different OS revisions.  This is a lot of work
per package, and it's not garaunteed to be supported by the vendor
(who should have done this work themselves :/).  I could just build a
pkg/rpm (we're a Solaris/Redhat shop) wrapper around the installer
itself, but that doesn't fit either of the frameworks correctly - the
package manifest will be the install files, which should be removed
from the system.  I have seen one instance where an rpm wrapper is
used and the last thing it does in postinstall is uninstall itself.
Seems kludgy to me.

Option 2) is what I was suggesting, but wanted to use a filebucket
rather than wget, but if that's not workable I'll stick with wget. I
was really hoping to be able to avoid having to have external
repositories of software though.  You don't see any case for a
provider (exec or package) within puppet to meet this need?

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew.