This looks a lot like this problem:
http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/2890
Have you tried rm -rf /etc/puppet/ssl on the client? Or you are avoiding
exactly that?
In 0.25.1 puppet seems to force the usage of the cached certificates
despite the fact that some of the data may be wrong, so you should try
to clean the ca certificate (in case the ca certificate changed), the
certificate request and as a last resort the private key. All this is
done by the above rm. (not sure if you knew all that so that's why I'm
mentioning).

Silviu