On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Ohad Levy <ohadl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I for one, thinks that the operatingsystemrelease fact should contain only
> the major number of the operating system, e.g. for Centos/Rehat 5.4 it
> should return just 5.
>
> the reason behind it is that I rarely use the full release version as a
> variable, and if I do, I use the lsb facts.
>
> this change is very annoying, as it requires to change your manifest again
> (we had the same issue between facter 1.38 and 1.5.0).
>
> I ended up having my own fact which is just a wrapper for the
> operatingsystem relase, as it one point of time I might have multiple facter
> version running around....

I searched through old messages and didn't see that this had been
addressed.  I can see people wanting facter to report the minor
version and others wanting just the major release number.  The way it
stands I'll need to change every operatingystemrelease variable, each
time a new minor version come out.  That's a pain I don't need.  So
I'll work around this by creating my own fact.  Having two variables
for the OS release seems to me a good choice.  Just my 2 cents.
Kent