I think the problem is that using the LSB stuff is unhelpful since
non-Linux  systems don't support it.  The issue with
operatingsystemrelease is that behavior has kinda changed with rhel5
from 3 and 4.  Now I realize that all it is doing is tokenizing
/etc/redhat-release but i agree that this annoys the crap out of me
and we implement local facts to make this better.

On Tuesday, December 22, 2009, Len Rugen <lenru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted a question about the lsb prefixed facts a few weeks ago.  lsbmaj____
> may be what you're looking for.
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Kenton Brede <kbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Ohad Levy <ohadl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I for one, thinks that the operatingsystemrelease fact should contain only
>> the major number of the operating system, e.g. for Centos/Rehat 5.4 it
>> should return just 5.
>>
>> the reason behind it is that I rarely use the full release version as a
>> variable, and if I do, I use the lsb facts.
>>
>> this change is very annoying, as it requires to change your manifest again
>> (we had the same issue between facter 1.38 and 1.5.0).
>>
>> I ended up having my own fact which is just a wrapper for the
>> operatingsystem relase, as it one point of time I might have multiple facter
>> version running around....
>>

> I searched through old messages and didn't see that this had been
> addressed.  I can see people wanting facter to report the minor
> version and others wanting just the major release number.  The way it
> stands I'll need to change every operatingystemrelease variable, each
> time a new minor version come out.  That's a pain I don't need.  So
> I'll work around this by creating my own fact.  Having two variables
> for the OS release seems to me a good choice.  Just my 2 cents.
> Kent

---
Derek T. Yarnell