On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Silviu Paragina <sil...@paragina.ro> wrote:
> When you apt-get source the package you get a few files. A tar.gz (bz2 not
> sure), a diff, and few more (not interesting for this problem). The tar one
> is the original source code, the diff is the difference from the debian
> package (including the debian dir). So all you need to do is apply that
> patch. If the gap between 0.25.1 0.25.2 isn't that big it should work. ;)

It should be simpler to use git-buildpackage.

# apt-get install git-buildpackage
$ git clone git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-puppet/puppet.git
$ cd puppet
$ git remote add reductive git://github.com/reductivelabs/puppet.git
$ git remote update
$ git checkout -b upstream 0.25.2
$ git checkout master
$ dch -i
add something like:

puppet (0.25.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * 0.25.2 internal release

 -- Nigel Kersten <nig...@google.com>  Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:29:49 -0800
(at least bump the version to 0.25.2, you should probably suffix it
with an internal ~mycorp or something to distinguish it from real
upstream builds or whatever your internal processes are)

$ git add debian/changelog
$ git commit -m "0.25.2 changelog update"
$ git-buildpackage

That should result in a 0.25.2 deb in the parent directory.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you can pull in *any*
puppet git branch as "upstream". If you're more familiar with
git-buildpackage, you can point it at any git branch as upstream, but
this seemed a simpler path to follow.

> Silviu
>
> Steve Wray wrote:
>>
>> James Turnbull wrote: