Why not use the 'noop' metaparam?

Instead of a notouch file, how about .file.noop which would simply set
noop => 'true' for that run perhaps with an extended message about using
a noop file.

Trevor

On 01/19/2010 04:37 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Scott Smith <sc...@ohlol.net> wrote:
>
>> Trevor Vaughan wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. But, in theory, this is a temporary measure.
>>>
>>> If it's not, then why are you managing that file in the first place?
>>>

>> I monitor puppetd errors with splunk, so this could cause someone to get
>> paged =(
>>
>> Good idea for those of us who don't, though :)
>>
>> (If I see a feature request for this, I'll definitely upvote it.)
>>

> It would be reasonably trivial to subclass the File type to not apply
> changes if /path/to/file.notouch exists I think.
>
> I'm really torn about this though. Do you really want puppet thinking a
> resource has been applied when it hasn't been? This complicates dependencies
> an awful lot....
>
> We've been considering it as a short-term band-aid for some situations,
> where the notouch file only works for a given period of time.
>

>> -scott
>>
>> --

- --
Trevor Vaughan
 Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc.
 email: tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
 phone: 410-541-ONYX (6699)

- -- This account not approved for unencrypted sensitive information --