And I've managed to dodge one of your questions. :-) The include is done
in ./lib/puppet/feature/base.rb (last line) which uses the
lib/puppet/util/feature.rb.
Basically you end up with a good old "require RRDtool" in load_library
from feature.rb, if this require failsm you will get, further in the
runtime, the error you specified. This require is standard for ruby, so
google should turn out better answers than I do (I am not familiar with
ruby library system).

Silviu