On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Scott Smith wrote:

The only annoying part is that if I ever revoke something, I have to distribute the CRL to my puppetmasters. Oh well.

openssl discusses this in the 'verify' man page

Nothing says a certificate has to be of any particular duration. A certificate outside of its validity date whould not be trusted anyway [dunno that the code checks this, but ...]

Why not issue them out just a month, and then let them expire?

If needed again, push a new one with a new expiration date out. Let the passage of time and a system design handle the implicit 'no longer trusted' decision, to avoid needing to maintain a CRL list of more than a couple of entries tops

-- Russ herrold