On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:08:29 -0500, Michael DeHaan
<mich...@reductivelabs.com> wrote:
> With Puppet, if you're just learning it, what were some of your
> stumbling blocks?   If you are an existing user, think back to that
> time, or times when you were talking with new users?

First and foremost on my list is the ability to trigger puppet runs
manually.  In a lot of environments, you don't want puppet updating things
automatically in the middle of the day.  In our company (and many like it),
there are strict change management rules dictating when things can be run.
It'd be nice if puppet didn't assume that I wanted it to run immediately
upon startup.  As is, we've created a schedule called "never", and we use
--ignore-schedules to force updates.

I've found the puppetrun utility to be very lacking, in many ways, and have
resorted to my own scripts to trigger runs.  This script runs using ssh to
hit servers, which is unfortunately not ideal right now since it operates
in a serial fashion, and it creates a chicken/egg problem (puppet is used
to deploy the user/sudoers/ssh key...).

The issues I have with puppetrun are:
1) LDAP support is required for triggering individual servers.  Why?
2) Doesn't pass all options on to the remote server (--noop is ignored, for
instance)
3) Probably others, but I haven't messed with it in a while so I've
forgotten them

If either #1 or #2 has been resolved lately, my apologies and I'll plan to
upgrade soon :)

Another issue I've found is that many of the directories in /var/lib/puppet
aren't created until puppetd is started in daemon mode at least once, so
when we're building new systems we have to start the service and then
immediately stop it, just so we can run puppetd manually.  Again, if
there's a work around for that, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Those have been my primary stumbling blocks, if I think of any others I'll
let you know.

believed to be clean.