My thoughts:

- - I would have it be a stand alone application, not an add-on to the
primary puppet daemon. The reason for this is that many of us use puppet
from cron instead of as a daemon for various reasons.

- - I do have to wonder how this is much different that cobbling together
the results of puppetlast (to get the nodes that have checked in) with
some sort of parallel SSH solution (besides the fact that you're using
the puppet certs instead of SSH keys).

- - In general, people are going to have hybrid environments for one
reason or another.  The ability to add additional nodes to this list
that can perhaps just use puppetrun for this functionality may be welcome.

A little more below.

On 02/10/2010 12:45 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Features I'm thinking of:
>
> Requires no additonal ports, setup, or config files -- use existing
> puppet listening capability and puppetca, just a /usr/bin app

- - I don't particularly agree with this for the reasons listed above.

> Be able to query dashboard DB to run against tagged nodes or hosts
> that have certain data there (or in storeconfigs???)

- - Sounds good. Should be pluggable so that you can add additional data
sources with little effort. Flat files, LDAP, MySQL, whatever...

> Be able to run against wildcarded nodes based on what certs are
> present on the puppetmaster (we know the hostnames)

- - This makes sense.

> Be able to be used easily from an API perspective from any ruby application

- - I would vote for a combination of this and the ability to do
everything from the command line. This way people can either use Ruby or
their programming language of choice.

> Be able to invoke ralsh remotely for querying things (and for debug,
> and one off tasks)

- - Are there example use cases of this? It sounds useful, but my minimal
ralsh experimentation didn't really prove to be greatly fruitful.

> Be able to run shell commands for things that are one offs (emergency
> security power down now)

- - This comes back to the common framework. I'm going to want to be able
to do this regardless of whether or not puppet is actually running. I
may want to do this (or something like it) because puppet is hung for
some reason.

Thanks,

Trevor

- --
Trevor Vaughan
 Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc.
 email: tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
 phone: 410-541-ONYX (6699)

- -- This account not approved for unencrypted sensitive information --