On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Scott Smith wrote:
> >Of course there are change control procedures for getting the manifests
> >updated on the puppetmaster, but that's not enough; it's also necessary
> >to run the puppet client only when specifically authorised.  For
> >example, the manifest update and a --noop mode client puppet run might
> >happen during working hours, but the --no-noop client puppet run might
> >happen during a maintenance window after hours.
>
> So let me get this straight: You run --noop throughout the day,
> aggregate the changes that need to be made, and then have a EOD/EOW
> "change control" meeting to go over them and determine if you need
> to run puppet without --noop ?

Not exactly, but that would probably be acceptable.  What actually
happens today is that puppetd is not run at all on the client unless an
authorised change is known to be ready for deployment; then puppetd is
run in --noop mode to verify that the changes it wants to make are as
expected; finallly puppetd is run in --no-noop mode.

--apb (Alan Barrett)