Interesting, I'll read that paper, thanks.

For our setup the version of software is exposed in the
puppet_node_classifier which connects to a database. Additionally, the
version of the configuration files and which puppet environment to use
are available as well. To do an upgrade, I change the version in the
db for a particular host to whatever I want it to be and then force
puppet to run. No waiting for 30 minutes, I can't not have control
over when the upgrade is going to happen. Rollback is an upgrade to
the previous version, and when rolling out to all of our production
boxes, our software modifies the database in slices and then verifies
that the upgrade was successful before proceeding to the next slice,
and if puppet fails to upgrade, all future boxes waiting to be
upgraded get canceled. I think it's a pretty slick system.

Pete