Sorry for the late reply. I hadn't noticed your response.

> How are you running the puppetmasters Donovan? Passenger?
>
> I'd like us to have a nice simple install for people wanting to run
> the server on OS X. I have a script around somewhere that will create
> a Passenger pkg from the source tarball, and that seemed to work fine
> with the built in Apache.

It's a bit fuzzy, but I recall some annoying issue with using
passenger. We're currently using apache2 as a proxy to mongrel. We
haven't had any issues with mongrel that I can recall.

> I'm not doing much OS X Server these days, but I wonder if there's any
> hope of getting a decent serveradmin type together for OS X Server
> management....

Certainly seems possible. A quick poke around and we should be able to
drive servermgrd locally. /usr/share/servermgrd/cgi-bin/ looks like
it's all symlinks back to /usr/sbin/serveradmin. An xml/plist lib and
popen() should do the trick.

Do know of an existing type that supports the same type of
functionality? At first glance the closest thing looks like augeas.
The serveradmin services look like augeas lenses to me. In which case
serveradmin may just be a provider for the augeas type?

Anyways, I know we'd certainly use a serveradmin provider/type. Right
now it's a lot of exec trickery and munging of plists & configs. Off
the top of my head we're using that model to drive OSX smb & OD
servers.