hello,

The master doesn't actually need a copy of the signed certs
on the its drives.

All the master needs is the CA that signed the nodes.  If
you set your masters up that you access them via a CNAME
such as 'puppet' all you need to really bother with
is making sure your new master is on that name and has
the same CA as before.

You might need to set certname=puppet in puppet.conf
in the [puppetmasterd] section to prevent your new
master from creating certs when a new hostname is found.

You only generally need the client certs to be able to
do revokes and such. I have many regional masters, they
all just share the same CA.  The more correct way is to
do the whole CA and Sub CA setup etc, but it just seemed
too much of a hassle when I set mine up.

With the same CA everywhere any one of my nodes can talk
to any one of my masters, like I designate one master as the
place where reports go, any machine can send in reports even
if another master signed them.  Also makes it trivial to
recover from failure or to scale.

----- "Brian Akins" <brian.ak...@turner.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/10 6:52 AM, "LOhit" <lohi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > BTW, I am using puppet to manage about 700+ hosts,
>
> Before we started using rsync and running puppet locally on each host,
> we
> actually added the SSL certs to SVN.  Cheesy, but we could quickly,
> and
> easily, move clients from master to master.
>
> --
> Brian Akins

R.I.Pienaar