LOhit,

The main two things to take into account are:

   1. keep your manifests elsewhere, IMHO puppetmasters always gets RO copy
   of your puppet data (e.g. from a VCS).
   2. Solve the SSL hell, then everything is simple.

I've been using in my setup (with approx 15 productive puppetmasters and
about 20 development puppetmasters) a chained CA.

What it means is that you have one puppet master, which signs other puppet
masters.
in turn, the masters sign the clients, and as they are trusting each other,
you can connect from any server (or client) to any other server without SSL
errors.

the top level CA can be shut down (even better to keep the SSL data some
where offline) and use it only when you need to sign a new puppet master.

I find this way relatively clean, and nothing usually happens if i end up
blowing up a puppet master or killing its certificate (as currently 025.4 is
doing but its already fixed for 025.5).

Ohad