Dan Bode wrote:

I would prefer if puppet ran the sync. It would be nice to receive puppet events for any changes made via rsync (essentially reports of which files change, this would require that it is implemented in ruby).

I can see from reading the man page that there is a --dryrun call that could be used to determine rather rsync should be run or not. Is this reasonable to run this to determine if Puppet should run? or is that too slow?

Problem is, once you get file trees that have several tens of thousands
of files in them, just traversing the tree to see which files are there
and ought to be transfered can take a while.  When the target tree is
already up to date, rsync --dry-run doesn't go any faster than without
--dry-run.

The time taken doesn't matter much when Puppet is doing its automatic,
unattended runs, but when you have made a change to your manifests and
want to make a manual test run from an interactive shell, you don't want
to wait an extra ten or fifty seconds just to see that you misspelled a
package name...

        /Bellman