On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 12:27 +0100, Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
> On the client
>
> Client #]  puppetd --test --trace
>
> http://pastebin.com/eft1Qmuv
>
> Full output of the command is above, last three lines,
>
> # err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: hostname was not
> match with the server certificate
> # warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> # err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
>
> [snip]

When the client connects to the master, it checks the server certificate
in 3 ways:
 * it should have been signed by the same CA
 * it should be valid (ie not expired)
 * the advertised server certificate CN should match the hostname used
to connect to the server (or any other subjectAltName).

When you launch puppetd, it connects to puppet.<search>, which usually
resolved to puppet.domain.com. If your server certificate doesn't
contain a CN and/or subjectAltName of puppet.domain.com, then this error
is thrown.

The mismatch can happen when your puppet master is in a different domain
than the client. When the master generates its server certificate it
uses:
 * it's fqdn as CN
 * puppet.$domain in subjectAltName, where $domain is what the current
machine has

if $domain on the master is different on the master and the client, the
mismatch will happen. This is always true if your master is multi-homed
and can be accessed from several networks using different domains.

In this case you need to generate the server certificate with the puppet
master name in every domains with --certdnsname.

> Now, back to my original issue! Oh, I am on IRC, irc.freenode.org
> lurkin in the #puppet room ☺

What's your nickname?
--
Brice Figureau