> > But for more sophisticated puppet setups - what are your ways to determine
> > which environment you are in.
>
> I wrote a custom fact, location, that embeds all the logic in a tiny bit of
> custom Ruby.  (In fact, it just grabs the hostname, domain, and IP address,
> then uses a tiny bit of logic to select between them.)

Same sort of solution here. I made a location fact that maps primary
ipaddress subnet to a descriptive location string.

>From there I went a different route than the extlookup() + case
method. I ended up using exported resources with 'tag => $location'
and '<<| tag = $location |>>' on the client side. If a resource
doesn't have a native Type I used the same technique with the concat
module.