On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Dan Bode <d...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> Hi Carla,
>
> I am currently working on a "noder" type that I will use to model cloud
> provisioning with puppet. It would be nice if we could use the same type
> specification. Let me get what I have checked in to github so you can at
> least have a peek at the specification.
>
> Also, here is a primitive example of virtual machine modeling in Puppet
> lang.
>
> http://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-nodes
>
> -Dan

Can you give some examples of your system in practice Dan?   I'm
confused as to why the YAML is there as an intermediate layer.

Ideally I want to be able to do something like this on a host:

virt {
   vmname => 'example-host',
   virt_ram => 512,  # Megs, changeable
   install_kernel => '/path/to/vmlinuz',
   install_initrd => '/path/to/initrd.img',
   virt_disk_size => 100 # GB, not changeable
   ensure => running,
   autoboot => true,
}

FYI, some things I want to make sure we can do:

* install qemu and KVM guests
* install Xen guests both fullvirt and paravirt
* kernel + initrd installs (not image based) if the given VM name does
not exist  (if we do images, we do them second).
* change RAM assigned to virtual machine
* control virtual machine start/stop state as well as "autoboot at
next OS restart" state
* change number of virtual CPUs.

Eventually we'll want to augment install_kernel and install_initrd to
take an image, and then for bonus points, a cobbler profile or system
name and a server address, in which case, it wouldn't need to supply
any parameters other than the name of the profile/system.

--Michael