----- "Michael DeHaan" <mich...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> Nice idea....I like that.
>
> I had toyed with adding such an autosign-simulating feature to
> Cobbler that ohad mentioned (but different*), but I don't see how that
> provides any greater security, as once you have
> automated provisioning via TFTP (it's an open protocol by design),
> it's really a moot point to claim you're layering extra security on
> top.    Also Anaconda doesn't support
> access control around accessing kickstarts.
>
> * = rather than enabling autosign, the system would note what hosts
> just started kickstart, and let cobblerd sign that specific host once
> it shows up in 'puppetca', polling periodically, until the host
> indicates it reaches 'kickstart done' status, or after 30 minutes, whichever
> is
> sooner.   That way there's no need to enable autosign, but it's
> effectively the same thing.    The system could also remove
> certificates for hosts that we being reinstalled if kicked off from a secure
> interface (can't really trust PXE and HTTP requests).

My machines install mcollective at install time with just a 'provisioning'
agent.

I can then:

- discover machines ready for provisioning without first needing to put them in
a inventory db etc
- revoke any old certs on ca's matching the new host
- install puppet, put it in the bootstrap environment
- trigger a puppet run that request a cert
- go and sign the cert on whatever master has it- I have many masters all more
or less islands, machines just talk to their nearest.
- do another puppet run till bootstrapping is done
- put the machine in the production environment from where it will do normal
puppet runs.

So I retain the security of not having auto sign enabled and can easily drive a
machine through the whole process on demand.

Easy to integrate into web ui's etc.

--
R.I.Pienaar