On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Marcus, Allan B <al...@lanl.gov> wrote:

> First off, we don't have reporting on. I can see how using reporting can be
> useful, but it can also be a heavy load on a server. We do use Store Config.
>

> Our server is a Mac Xserve. 2 x 4 core Xeon processors. 8GB of RAM. We have
> no load issues with about 1300 clients checking in hourly. That said, our
> configurations aren't very complicated.
>
> Some obvious ways to split the load between servers are to use a different
> server for MySQL and/or use a different server for file distribution.

Why not scale up to another puppetmaster? you may chose to run the other
puppet servers without CA functioanility, this will allow you to off load it
do many things (e.g. file requests, manifest compilation, reporting etc).

on a side note, Foreman can run on any machine (doesn't really require to
run on your puppetmaster), if you want to enable reports, there is a tiny
overhead of forwarding the reports to your foreman host (which could be
avoided too if you have another puppetmaster acting as your report server).

my 2 cents,
Ohad