On 2010-06-20 15:50, Patrick Mohr wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Psyber wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any ideas on adding a default header to puppet managed
>> files and templates?
>> This might be tricky because of the different methods of adding
>> comments for different types of files but I'm certainly open to
>> suggestions that would enforce the existence of a header.
>
> I manage:
> 1) Config files that use "#" or ";" for comments.
> 2) Html files that use <!-- --> for comments.
> 3) Pxe config files that use "#" for comments.
> 4) Binary files that can't have comments.
>
> The problem is there's no easy way for puppet to know what format comments
> are in.  There's no common comment format that will work with all files.  "#"
> comments are the most common, but nowhere near universal.

Good point there.

I wonder if using a module that does "file concatenation" could be a
good method. one would need to have a define for each format of header
to include and could include a file by calling the appropriate define.
I'm not sure but it could make overwriting file resources a lot more
complicated...

--
Gabriel Filion