I tend to avoid gems at all in production because it's a turd of a package manager. You are asking for pain if you try to deploy production apps with gems IMO, when it's likely your package manager has versions from the vendor that are acceptable. If they don't I recommend building the packages and putting them in your in-house custom repo, which you should probably have for cases like this.

My deployment is a puppet master per site, not for resource reasons, but for network reasons really. I use mod proxy balancer with mongrels and it serves out fifty nodes with stored configs etc just fine, on a 32 bit VM with probably only one core.

And yes, the docs that seem dated for splitting file serving, certificate auth, and manifests are probably still close to valid.

Joe McDonagh
Operations Engineer
AIM: YoosingYoonickz
IRC: joe-mac on freenode
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."