Hi:

On Saturday 10 July 2010 19:11:12 Patrick Mohr wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Peter Meier wrote:

> >> Is there some way to clean a cert (using puppet cert) without
> >> revoking it?  Something like "puppet cert --clean hostname.domain
> >> --no-revoke".
> >
> > afaik, not. But could be a feature request. On the other hand, what's
> > the use case?
>
> This isn't my usecase so I don't care, but since you ask...
>
> Suppose you have machines that:
> *) Don't get any sensitive information through puppet.
> *) Are re-imaged often using PXE+preseeding or PXE+kickstart
> *) All the computers have names in the form of "lab-client-*.domainname"
>
> Someone said that in this case you can put "puppetca --clean
> lab-client-*.domainname" as a cron job, and put "lab-client-*.domainname"
> in autosign.conf.
>
> Again, I don't do this, so don't do it for me.

I don't see that to be a use case in need of a "no-revoke" option.  Once you
delete the old machine and re-image it with "PXE+preseeding or PXE+kickstart"
it won't get the old certkey so it'll need to be resigned anyway: to all
practical purposes it's a new machine, so no benefit on not revoking the old
one.

Cheers