On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Yushu Yao <yao.yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> Is there a way to specify in the nodes.pp sections with the ip address of
> the client?
> Currently I only saw instructions to use wildcarded hostnames.
>
> Thanks a lot

You can configure [1] the master to use facter rather than the
certificate common name for the node name.  Note, however, this poses
a risk since the fact list is presented by the agent and may be
forged.  If you configure the master to use facter then you would have
to force the "hostname" to actually be the ipaddress by modifying the
hostname fact itself.

I in no way recommend this configuration and actively discourage it.
It should do what you want though.

node_name
How the puppetmaster determines the client’s identity and sets the
‘hostname’, ‘fqdn’ and ‘domain’ facts for use in the manifest, in
particular for determining which ‘node’ statement applies to the
client. Possible values are ‘cert’ (use the subject’s CN in the
client’s certificate) and ‘facter’ (use the hostname that the client
reported in its facts)
Default: cert

[1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/configuration.html#node_name

Hope this helps,