Just to add:

The reason I wanted to do this:
1. I want to create the certificates before the VMs are created. The VMs
will need to run puppet client
2. However, before a VM is created, I don't know the IP nor the FQDN of the
VM. That's why I'm thinking of using an arbitrary name.
3. I want to use the same set of certs to authenticate the communication
between the VMs and another APACHE server.

Any comments on how to do this is greatly appreciated.

-Yushu