Nothing that involves ruby counts as "scaling it down". At that point, you
have so much spare ram and cpu that you are trying to use it all up
somehow..

(That isn't a cut on ruby, although it does seem to be a little less
efficient than, say, perl. The same thing would apply to any large
interpreted language, and doubly so for something like puppet where you are
basically nesting interpreted environments inside each other...)