On 08/11/2010 12:26 AM, ScubaDude wrote:
> On Aug 10, 8:22 pm, Igal Koshevoy <i...@pragmaticraft.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/2010 06:58 AM, ScubaDude wrote:> Packages I needed to get dashboard
>> running on a RHEL4 Server:
>>
>> Thanks for describing this, we'll incorporate these into a future
>> release of the Puppet Dashboard's documentation. I've added a feature
>> ticket for this athttp://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4510
>>
>> If you or others have other OS-specific instructions, please feel free
>> to submit a patch against the docs.
>>

>>>    augeas-0.7.2-1
>>>    augeas-libs-0.7.2-1
>>>    facter-1.5.7
>>>    ruby-augeas-0.3.0.1
>>>
>> The Puppet Dashboard doesn't require these packages -- I suspect these
>> were required as part of installing Puppet.
>>
> Your quite correct, the server I'm using also hosts the puppet-master.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> [...]
>>> ruby needed to be a higher revision.
>>> [...]
>>> [Instead installed from]
>>>    http://rubyworks.rubyforge.org/redhat/4.9/RPMS/x86_64/rubygem-mysql-2...
>>>
>> The "ruby-mysql" package from EPEL is recommended by the documentation
>> for newer versions of CentOS and provides a pre-compiled library that's
>> tricky to to build otherwise. Did the EPEL package work for you? If so,
>> there shouldn't have been a need to install it via `gem install
>> ruby-mysql` or from rubyworks. If not, can you please summarize what
>> happened?
>>
> The EPEL ruby-mysql package installed fine, however if I try to run
> the server without the mysql gem I get:
>
> !!! The bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2.
> Please install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql.
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- mysql
> (MissingSourceFile)
>       from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `require'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/
> active_support/dependencies.rb:158:in `require'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/
> active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:7:in
> `require_library_or_gem'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/
> active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/
> active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:5:in
> `require_library_or_gem'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
> active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:61:in
> `mysql_connection'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
> active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in
> `send'
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
> active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in
> `new_connection'
>        ... 26 levels...
>       from /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/vendor/rails/railties/lib/commands/
> server.rb:84
>       from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `gem_original_require'
>       from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `require'
>       from script/server:3
>
> That might be caused by some other issue, or a version conflict.  I
> removed the ruby-mysql RPM (--nodeps as puppet-dashboard requires it)
> and all continued to function so that RPM maybe a red herring.
>

> Trying to install the gem with 'gem' I get:
>
> # gem install mysql
> ERROR:  Error installing mysql:
>       mysql requires Ruby version >= 1.8.6
>
> Hence using the RPM version of the mysql gem.

The rubyworks Ruby package probably reads libraries from different
directories than the EPEL ruby-mysql package is installed into and thus
can't be loaded, so your approach of installing the rubyworks version of
rubygems-mysql seems correct and necessary.

Thank you for the details, this will make it easier to write the
installation instructions for these older RHEL and CentOS releases.

-igal