the puppet executable expects one of the following:
   path to manifest file
   puppet code passed to stdin
   with the -e options, it accepts puppet code to execute.

when you call puppet code without one of these options, it is patiently
waiting for code from STDIN.

What behavior are you expecting? Maybe you should look into the
puppetmasterd/puppetd executables.

-Dan