Hi,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:50 AM, mohit chawla <mohit.chawla.bin...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I am sure I didn't make this up, but I was under the impression that either
> it will autoload the default site.pp (under /etc/puppet/manifests) or the
> one mentioned with the --manifest option. So, essentially I thought just the
> modulepath option (with or without the explicit --manifest option) would be
> sufficient in either case.

you can achieve this functionality by running

#>puppet /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp

only the puppet server (puppetmasterd) uses manifest/manifestdir to
automatically find site.pp

> I was mainly trying out alternative deployment approaches apart from the
> client/server arch that I have been using. Mainly inspired by this article:
> http://bitfieldconsulting.com/scaling-puppet-with-distributed-version-control

I had a look at that article, it is slightly misleading. I think the
examples are trying to highlight that you can specify modulepath with the
puppet executalbe, but the statements:

puppet --modulepath=/etc/puppet/modules

are not valid, they will just hang unless the puppet manifest is also passed
as an argument.

> Didn't think asking this would be so offensive.

I am definitely not offend, and I don't mean to offend, just trying to help.