Regarding the timezone and date-time format discussion: we'd like to
resolve this and have an issue assigned to one of the next releases. Do
the details below capture the intended behavior?

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4605

Application should use the timezone and format set in a site-specific
configuration

Currently:

    * Timezone is set in |config/environment.rb| and this file must be
      edited to alter it. This is bad because this file is versioned and
      is part of the app. Worse still, not everything in the application
      uses it — such as Status::by_interval uses the timezone that’s set
      on the operating system instead.
    * Time/date formats are set in
      |config/initializers/time_formats.rb|. These now use international
      format, but we should accommodate people with other preferences.
    * Charts use their own format, ignoring the timezone and formatting
      used in the rest of the application..

Desired behavior:

    * Site-wide settings should be implemented, see #4604
      <http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4604>
    * Timezone setting should be added to the site-wide settings
    * Date-time format setting should be added to the site-wide settings
    * Everything should use the timezone settings, e.g. the views,
      Status::by_interval, charts, etc.
    * Everything should use the date-time formatting settings, e.g. the
      Rails views and charts.

-igal