On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:47 PM, John Warburton wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to use the section on Centralised Puppet Infrastructure on the
> Scaling Puppet page -
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Puppet_Scalability
>
> No matter what I do, I always end up with the client contacting a puppet
> server and rejecting the configuration with a dreaded "certificate verify
> failed":
>
> err: /File[/var/puppet/confdir/var/lib]: Failed to retrieve current state of
> resource: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate
> B: certificate verify failed Could not retrieve file metadata for
> puppet://engnsvr002.example.com/plugins: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0
> state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed
>
> I have started from completely fresh servers, and repeated this behavior a
> number of times, with clean puppet configs - you can see a very detailed
> working below.
>
> I am stumped as to what to do next, but suspect a number of things:
> - the example given was for Mongrel - is Passenger different?
> - there are a number SSL cert chaining tickets in the issues list
>
> My goal is to have any puppet client be able to talk to any puppet server, so
> that if one.s designated puppet server died, we could repoint its CNAME to
> another puppet server in another datacentre and the client would continue
> working as if nothing happened. Does anyone have a working configuration that
> fits this scenario?

I've done it 2 ways.
1) Just copy the ca folder to the other servers.  (Warning, breaks certificate
revocation because of duplicate serial numbers)
2) Use one server as the ca for everything, but have local servers for
everything else. (Not as much reliability, but close.  You can't sign when the
ca goes down, but everything else works.)

I have tried using that method, but I've had horrible luck and didn't manage to
make it work.