On 09/23/2010 09:31 PM, R.I.Pienaar wrote:

I have two sites with a small number of machines at each.  Each site is
functionally identical.  I would like to set up a bunch of templates
for the various services at each site, with a handful of variables that
indicate which site the service is configured for.  What would be
"best practice" way to accomplish this in Puppet ?

You should consider using extlookup.

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/2.6.1/function.html#extlookup

Thank you for your reply !

According to the documentation, extlookup reads from csv files, which means that a given csv file with the desired data must already be present ; therefore another mechanism must create the file before extlookup can become useful.

I've taken a look at your blog entry here, which was very helpful in explaining the situation :
http://www.devco.net/archives/2009/08/31/complex_data_and_puppet.php

Your entry does not, however, indicate where the csv comes from in the first place ; in my stated case, i suppose that the csv would need to be generated dynamically. One could have a class that ensures a shell script that gets exec'd, the output of which is a csv file that has :
site_name,<value>

Then you could extlookup that csv file in order to provide the desired variable.

That seems awkward, though only because i'd be going through the bother of dynamically generating a csv for one value ; i could see how this would be (very) useful if i was gathering tonnes of variables to use in this way.

--
Daniel Maher <dma AT witbe DOT net>
"The Internet is completely over." -- Prince