I've been poking around the web docs, and dont see an answer to this
yet:

Is there any pre-existing functionality in puppet, to allow limiting
parallelism?

Example:
Lets say that I want all machines to run some sort of job, that
updates a central database with information about the state of each
puppet client.

Lets also say, that I have 1000 machines, so if all of them decide to
do it at the exact same time, it would be a Bad Thing.
So I ideally would like some kind of puppet mechanism that says,
"run this script... but only if there are less than 10 other machines
doing the same thing at this particular moment)"