On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 08:48:30AM -0700, Philip Brown wrote:
> > Is it crucial that the data be current at the beginning any puppet run?
> > Is the data itself used in configuring the host, or is it just the
> > presence of current data that has an effect on how/when puppet runs?
> >

> Weeelll.. this PARTICULAR data, is more just inventory type data. it
> is not crucial to the puppet run itself at all.

Then I really do advise you not to use Puppet as the transport.  Use
puppet to set up the data collection and transmission/retrieval
processes and let them run independently.

> However, in the future, we will have more interest in adding on
> random scripts that need to be run on all machines, but not at
> exactly the same time

And will *those* be integral to Puppet's operation, or are you just
hoping that Puppet can provide you with a way of managing parallel
execution?

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.