A few things.

David Schmitt has made mysql modules.
http://forge.puppetlabs.com/DavidSchmitt/mysql
maybe you can take a look at them.

Even with his modules i get the same error when configuring a new node.

The problem i saw is that the mysql plugins are synced at the beginning of a
run with pluginsync.
The module is 'checked' at that time. My recepies install MySQL but have not
run at that time obviously.
The plugin does not find the provider 'mysql' so it fails and as a result
MySQL never gets installed.
This is a vicious circle. The only way i have found so far is to disable the
use of that module before having MySQL installed.

This seems to be a problem in the way plugins get installed.

I don't know if there is a bug in David Schmitt's plugins or if a bug needs
to be opened about this for puppet.

Regards,

Stefan - Zipkid - Goethals.